Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Privileges





            In thinking about privilege over the last two days, I have been able to identify numerous ways I receive privilege in U.S. Society.
1.             As an able bodied person, I never have to worry about being able to access anything. When I went to lunch a few weeks ago with a friend who uses a walker, it became clear that the restaurant was not completely accessible easily for anyone who isn’t able bodied. The seating was on a step-up style platform; there wasn’t a convenient place for her walker. I can easily maneuver through crowded supermarkets and clothing racks, not worried about getting caught on anything. There is always space for me to sit easily in a classroom, and no one condescendingly offers me assistance on a regular basis. I don’t have to wonder if someone rewarded my hard work because I am “overcoming” something, I can feel confident my hard work as an able bodied person is attributed to me. No one will accuse me of getting ahead because of a disability either, regardless of whether or not it’s true. I am considered capable as a person, ahead of someone who is considered disabled.
2            As a cisgendered woman, I can go to a clothing store and be directed to the appropriate fitting room without issue. I can browse through women’s underwear and women’s clothing without concern or embarrassment, and without anyone staring at me or whispering behind my back. I can purchase make-up, hair products, anything considered feminine, and no one will question my intentions or consider me a pervert, or as doing anything outside of ordinary. I do not have to worry about passing, or even worry about the concept of passing. I know where to go to the bathroom and it is unlikely anyone will question my presence or harass me. I can feel secure in my gender because no one is constantly questioning me, or bullying me based on my appearance. I get to look in the mirror and see a reflection that seems correct and familiar.
3.             As a white person, I can go into a store, fairly certain that if someone is being watched or followed, it’s not me. If I get pulled over by a police officer, I will not have my citizenship questioned; and if I am issued a ticket, it will not be attributed to my race. My voice is more likely to be heard than a person of color’s voice, even if we are speaking about an issue that concerns people of color, and not the voices of white people. When I say I am an American, no one will say to me, “African-American, Mexican-American, Asian American.” It will be accepted that I am an American because I am white. No one will say I got my job just because of my race and affirmative action.  Currently, I subscribe to a cosmetics sample site. In the 3-4 months I’ve been subscribing, I’ve gotten several skin care/foundation samples. All have been for fair to medium complexions, though I have never been asked what color my skin is. I can google search for snarky images, and be sure that most of the results will feature people who represent my group.



ECard

No comments:

Post a Comment